This post is also available on: Deutsch
Refreshing, pleasantly sour, aromatic and so incredibly delicious is Russian sorrel soup. It is one of the most popular summer soups in Russia and is also called green borscht. Here I show you how to cook the soup with sorrel vegetarian yourself. It is very easy and quick. Green borscht fills you up and is perfect as a hot meal for lunch or dinner. You can find a detailed sorrel soup recipe with exact quantities and step-by-step instructions here at the very bottom.
Which sorrel is best for soup?
You can make the most delicious green borscht with fresh sorrel. If you use frozen or pickled sorrel, the soup will taste less delicious. As soon as sorrel is in season, you can pick it outside and cook the soup with it. In the garden or on the balcony, sorrel grows very well in summer. You can plant it yourself beforehand.
Popular Russian summer soup
Green borscht is one of the most popular summer soups in Russia, even if it is served warm – unlike the cold soup Okroshka. Since sorrel is in season from spring to summer, and the soup tastes best with fresh herb, it’s no wonder it’s a favorite on warm days. In terms of taste, Russian sorrel soup also passes perfectly as a summer soup. It tastes refreshing and somewhat tart thanks to sorrel. The many fresh herbs that make it up add even more summer character to the green borscht.
Also called green borscht
Russian sorrel soup is also known as green borscht. Its consistency and taste reminds one of red borscht with beet. This is probably where the name green borscht comes from. The soup is not pureed, just like classic borscht. It consists of pieces of vegetables, eggs and clear broth. Like ordinary borsch, green borsch is similar in consistency to a stew.
How to serve and store Russian sorrel soup?
Serve Russian sorrel soup warm with a dollop of sour cream or sour cream. You can also serve it with fresh bread. Especially with homemade bread or with Russian pampushki, the vegetarian green borscht tastes very delicious. It is filling and perfect as a main dish. You can serve the summer soup as a warm lunch or dinner.
You should store the vegetarian green borscht in a saucepan with a lid on in the refrigerator. Do not heat the whole soup in the pot before serving, but only the portion that will be eaten immediately afterwards. If you heat the whole pot with the soup several times, it will spoil quickly. Green borscht can be kept in the refrigerator for about 5 days. It tastes just as delicious in the next few days as it does fresh, right after cooking.
This sorrel soup is
- pleasantly sour,
- incredibly tasty,
- with fresh sorrel,
- with lots of fresh herbs,
- popular Russian summer soup,
- easy and quick to cook from ordinary ingredients,
- just as tasty over several days as directly after cooking,
- ideal as a hot meal for lunch or dinner.
Sorrel soup Russian: the recipe
The exact quantities and step-by-step instructions, according to which you can cook the Russian sorrel soup vegetarian yourself, you will find below in the box recipe.
The green borscht recipe is very simple, and the cooking is quite fast. So you’ll have a delicious meal on the table in no time, which is perfect especially in the summer when you don’t want to spend too long at the stove.
For the recipe you need
- fresh sorrel, of course,
- vegetable broth,
- hard-boiled eggs,
- various herbs: dill, parsley, spring onions,
- some tomato paste,
- dried bay leaves,
- salt to taste
- and vegetable oil for frying.
How to make Russian sorrel soup: this is how it works
- Cut potatoes into cubes and cook in vegetable broth.
- Fry finely chopped onion in vegetable oil until translucent, add coarsely grated carrot and fry briefly, add tomato paste, continue to fry briefly and remove from heat.
- Chop sorrel, hard-boiled eggs, spring onions, dill and parsley, add to potatoes, add tomato sauce from the pan and bay leaves. Season the soup with salt and simmer for a few minutes. Ready is the delicious Russian soup with sorrel!
How to cook Russian sorrel soup: tips and tricks
- Cook the soup best with fresh sorrel.
- Use herbs according to your taste for the soup. For example, if you don’t like dill, you can omit it and use more parsley instead.
- You can also season the soup with different spices.
- It’s better to use homemade vegetable broth to avoid unhealthy additives that are in the instant vegetable broth from the supermarket.
- Store the Russian summer soup in a saucepan with the lid on in the refrigerator. It will keep for about 5 days.
- Serve the vegetarian green borscht warm with a dollop of sour cream or sour cream and fresh bread, if desired.
- The soup will taste just as delicious over the next few days as it did right after cooking.
Did you cook the Russian sorrel soup according to this recipe? I look forward to your results, your star rating and your comment on the green borscht recipe below, how it turned out and tasted to you.
Fancy some more delicious summer dishes? Also try:
- How to make poke bowl – vegan recipe with sesame sauce
- Falafel bowl – recipe for oriental bowl with falafels, salad & hummus
Sorrel soup Russian / Green borscht vegetarian
- 200 g fresh sorrel
- 600 g potatoes (peeled)
- 5 eggs (hard boiled)
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 3 spring onions
- 1 bunch of dill
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 30 ml tomato paste
- 2 l vegetable broth
- 2 dried bay leaves
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Cut potatoes into small cubes, put them in a saucepan with vegetable broth and boil them for about 10 - 15 minutes until cooked.
- Cut onion into small pieces and grate carrot coarsely. Fry onion in vegetable oil in a pan until translucent. Add carrot and fry, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes. Add tomato paste, stir fry for about 1 more minute and remove from heat.
- Cut sorrel into thin strips, hard-boiled eggs into small cubes, leek onions, dill and parsley into small pieces.
- Add sorrel, eggs, spring onions, dill, parsley, the onion-carrot mixture from the pan, and bay leaves to the pot of potatoes with vegetable broth. Season the soup with salt, bring to a boil, simmer for 2 minutes, and remove from heat.
- It is best to cook the soup with fresh sorrel.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for cooking Russian sorrel soup at the top of the post.