Dieser Beitrag ist auch verfügbar auf: Deutsch
Juicy, tender and so delicious are these pan-fried tvoroshniki or syrniki, which are completely without flour. Not without reason they are so popular in Slavic cuisine. The cheese pancakes are perfect for breakfast, dessert or as a snack in between. They are easy and quick to make. A detailed no flour tvoroshniki recipe with exact quantities and step-by-step instructions can be found below.
Use dry tvorog for the tvoroshniki recipe. If it contains excess liquid, you can drain it through a straining cloth.
Tvorog is available in Russian stores and some German supermarkets. You can also easily make Russian cottage cheese yourself, for example with my recipe for homemade tvorog.
Do not use too much sugar
Don’t add too much sugar to the tvorog mixture for the cheese pancakes. Otherwise, it might get mushy. About a tablespoon of sugar for the recipe below is perfectly fine.
If you like your pan-fried tvoroshniki sweeter, you can dust them with powdered sugar after baking.
How to serve no flour tvoroshniki?
In Slavic countries, tvoroshniki or syrniki are served mainly for breakfast. However, they are also ideal for dessert or as a snack in between meals.
Serve the no flour tvoroshniki with
- sour cream,
- sweetened condensed milk,
- caramel sauce,
- nut nougat cream,
- fresh fruit
- or jam, such as homemade blackcurrant jam.
Straight from the pan, when they are still warm, they taste best. However, the no flour tvoroshniki are also delicious cold.
How to freeze Russian cheese pancakes?
By the way, you can prepare the flourless tvoroshniki in advance and freeze them unbaked. After you have formed the cheese pancakes from the tvorog mixture, spread them on a floured cutting board or tray and put them in the freezer. Once frozen, you can transfer them to a freezer bag.
By the way, I do the same with my vegetarian pelmeni or potato vareniki.
You then bake the frozen tvoroshniki in a pan over low heat before serving. The baking time in this case may be a little longer than with fresh cheese pancakes.
These tvoroshniki are
- very tasty,
- easy and quick to make,
- ideal for breakfast, dessert or snack,
- delicious hot and cold,
- classic of Slavic cuisine.
Simple no flour tvoroshniki recipe
The flourless syrniki recipe, which you can find here at the end of the post in the recipe box, is very simple and fast. So you can make the cheese pancakes in the morning for breakfast.
First, mix tvorog with egg and semolina and let it swell for a quarter of an hour. Then add the rest of the ingredients, such as sugar, vanilla, salt and raisins to taste.
From the tvorog mixture form small cheese pancakes and fry them in a pan in vegetable oil until golden brown. And that’s it.
How to make Russian cheese pancakes: tips and tricks
- Use dry tvorog if possible. Let the excess liquid drip off of it if it contains any.
- Depending on how dry your tvorog and how big the egg are, you might need a little more or less semolina than the recipe specifies.
- Don’t add too much sugar to the tvorog mixture or it could get mushy.
- You can omit raisins.
- You can freeze unbaked flourless syrniki. See my notes on this above.
Video for the no flour tvoroshniki recipe
By the way, on my Youtube channel you can find a short video for the pan-fried flourless tvoroshniki. There you can watch exactly how to make the tvorog mixture and how to bake the cheese pancakes. If you don’t want to miss any more videos from me, feel free to subscribe to my channel.
Did you make the no flour syrniki according to this recipe? I’m looking forward to your results, your star rating and your comment here below on how you liked and succeeded with the pan-fried cheese pancakes.
Looking for more pancake recipes? Try some more:
- Blini (blinchiki) – classic recipe for Russian thin pancakes
- Oladi like fluff – world best recipe for Russian oladushki
- How to make fluffy American pancakes – the best recipe
Pan-fried no flour tvoroshniki
- 300 g tvorog
- approx. 40 g semolina**
- 1 egg
- 20 g sugar**
- 20 g raisins (alternative)
- 1 pinch of vanilla bean**
- 1 pinch of salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- Put tvorog in a mixing bowl and mash it with a fork.
- Add egg and semolina, mix it and let it swell for 15 minutes.
- Add sugar, raisins, vanilla and salt and mix.
- Form small balls (9 for me) of the tvorog mixture, moistening your hands with water if necessary if the mixture is too sticky, and flatten the balls a bit.
- Put some vegetable oil in a coated pan and heat it over medium heat.
- Fry the tvoroshniki in vegetable oil over low-medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
- Use dry tvorog if possible. Drain excess liquid from it if it contains any.
- Depending on how dry the tvorog and how large the egg are, you might need a little more or less semolina than indicated.
- Raisins can be omitted.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for making the no flour tvoroshniki at the top of the post.
If you are using Pinterest, you can pin the following picture: