Dieser Beitrag ist auch verfügbar auf: Deutsch
So delicious that you are guaranteed not to get enough of it, is this caramel sauce. Ice cream, desserts, pancakes – everything tastes even more delicious with it. Even on its own, this sweet sauce is addictive. You definitely won’t be able to stop spooning it once you’ve tried it. It’s very easy to make the caramel sauce yourself. You can find a detailed caramel sauce recipe with exact quantities and step-by-step instructions here below.
What is the homemade caramel sauce made of?
This caramel consists mainly of sugar and cream. To that, add a little butter and a small amount of salt. You can also make the caramel sauce without salt. Then you only need sugar, cream and butter. Or you can just add a pinch of salt. With salt, the sauce tastes not just sweet, but really caramel. Just experiment with the amount of salt to find out how much of it you want in the sauce.
This sweet sauce is
- incredibly delicious,
- quick to make with just four ingredients,
- perfect on ice cream, pancakes, desserts, cakes, rolls,
- ideal for the preparation of the Russian cake “Caramel girl”.
How to serve and store the homemade caramel
The sweet sauce tastes delicious on
- ice cream,
- bread or rolls,
You can serve it, for example, with the Russian oladji, blini or syrniki. The caramel sauce also tastes delicious with the homemade Russian plombir ice cream. On the homemade bread, homemade breakfast rolls or sesame rolls it is perfect for breakfast.
You should store the sauce in the refrigerator. You can put it in screw jars beforehand, among other things. The caramel can be stored in a cool place for about 2 weeks. However, you will use it up much faster.
Cake with caramel sauce
Have you tried the popular Russian cake “Caramel girl”? It is prepared with this caramel sauce and tastes incredibly delicious. For the cake recipe, you’ll need about half of the homemade caramel made according to this recipe. So if you’re looking for an easy recipe for a delicious caramel cake with homemade caramel sauce, this is definitely the cake recipe for you.
How to make caramel sauce: the recipe
The exact quantities and step-by-step instructions for making this delicious caramel sauce yourself can be found below in the box recipe.
For the caramel recipe you need only four ingredients. These are
- and salt.
Thereby salt is alternative. You can either omit it or adjust the amount according to your taste. With salt, however, the sauce tastes not only simply sweet, but even more caramel.
It is important to prepare and weigh all the ingredients beforehand. Because when cooking the sauce, everything has to go pretty quickly. You can’t get distracted in the process. Otherwise, your caramel sauce could burn quickly.
How to make caramel yourself
- Heat the cream well, but do not boil it.
- Melt sugar in a large coated pan without stirring it at the beginning. Then keep stirring gently and continue to melt until it has turned into a light caramel-colored liquid.
- Remove the pan with the caramelized sugar from the heat, add butter and stir until melted. Then add salt and stir briefly. Now add hot cream in batches and stir until homogeneous.
- Put the caramel mixture back on the stove and simmer for about 4 minutes. Then fill into glasses. Finished!
How to make caramel sauce yourself: tips and tricks
- While you’re cooking the sauce, don’t get distracted or step away from the stove. Because the sauce will burn faster than you think.
- When cooking the caramel, everything must go very quickly. So prepare all the ingredients beforehand and weigh them out.
- Salt ensures that the sauce tastes distinctly of caramel and not too sweet. However, you can adjust the amount of salt as you wish.
- The sugar must be evenly distributed on the bottom of the pan and not too thick. So use a large pan for this.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir the sugar in the pan as it caramelizes.
- It is important not to let the sugar for the caramel burn, otherwise the sauce will taste bitter later. So as soon as the caramelized sugar turns a light brown color, take it off the heat.
- While you are adding butter, cream and salt to the caramelized sugar, be sure to remove the pan from the heat for this time.
- If you have some lumps forming after adding the cream to the caramel, it’s not a problem. They will dissolve again as the sauce heats.
- To get the right consistency of the sweet sauce, you better use a kitchen thermometer.
- Immediately after cooking, the caramel will be very hot. Let it cool before you taste it. Otherwise, you may burn yourself.
- Store homemade caramel in the refrigerator if you’re not going to use it right away. It will keep for about two weeks.
Have you made caramel sauce using this recipe? I look forward to hearing your results, your star rating, and your comment on the recipe below about how it turned out and tasted.
- 330 g cream
- 300 g sugar
- 60 g butter
- 1/2 - 1 tsp salt
- Heat cream in a saucepan, but do not bring to a boil.
- Spread sugar evenly over the bottom of a large coated pan and heat over medium heat until it begins to melt and brown caramel flecks form on the surface without stirring it.
- Once the sugar begins to melt, gently stir it with a wooden spoon over and over until it has completely dissolved into a light caramel-colored liquid, and remove the pan from the heat immediately after. (Be sure to follow the detailed tips and tricks for making your own caramel sauce here at the top of this post).
- Immediately add butter and whisk until melted and a homogeneous mixture has formed.
- Add salt and stir it briefly.
- While stirring constantly, gradually add hot cream (it must be about 90 °C) in small portions and stir it until a homogeneous caramel mass is formed. (If a few lumps have formed in the process, it's not a problem. They will dissolve during cooking).
- Place the caramel mixture back on the stove, bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and then simmer, stirring, for about 4 minutes, until it reaches 108°C.
- Remove the pan from the heat, immediately pour the caramel sauce into a clean mixing bowl or screw-top jar, and let it cool. Once cooled, the liquid caramel sauce will become more solid.
- Prepare and weigh all ingredients for the caramel sauce before starting to cook.
- The amount of salt can be adjusted as desired.
- Do not let the sugar burn while melting, or the caramel sauce will taste bitter later. So as soon as the caramelized sugar turns a light brown color, remove it from the heat.
- Immediately after cooking, the caramel sauce will be very hot. Let it cool down and taste it only after that.
- The cooling time of the caramel sauce is not included in the preparation time.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for making the caramel sauce at the top of the post.