Heart cookies (Mother's Day / Valentine's Day / Wedding cookies)
The heart cookies not only look pretty, but also taste heavenly delicious. They are very crumbly, tender, aromatic and have a slightly refreshing note thanks to lemon. The heart cookies are ideal as Mother's Day, Valentine's Day or wedding cookies. But they are also delicious simply for snacking in between. With this recipe you can make them yourself in a flash with just a few ingredients.
Servings 50 cookies
- 250 g butter cold
- 180 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- approx. 450 g flour
- 50 g cornstarch
- zest of 2 organic lemons
- 1 pinch of salt
- flour for the work surface
for the icing
- approx. 150 g white chocolate
Mix flour, cornstarch, sugar, salt and lemon zest in a mixing bowl.
Add cold butter cut into pieces and chop it finely.
Add eggs and knead just briefly to form a roughly homogeneous dough.
Divide the dough into three pieces and chill them, covered, for 1 hour.
Dust the work surface with flour. First take one piece of dough out of the fridge, roll it out to a thickness of about 0.7 cm, cut out heart-shaped cookies and spread them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Repeat the same with the remaining two pieces of dough.
Bake the heart cookies in a preheated oven at 180 °C top and bottom heat for about 10 minutes (They should keep their light color after baking.) and let them cool.
Melt white chocolate slowly in a water bath. Dip the tops of the heart cookies into it and let the excess chocolate drip off.
Sprinkle the heart cookies with sprinkled hearts and let the icing dry.
- The amount of flour given may vary. If the dough is too wet at the end, add some more flour. If it is too dry, add a little cold water.
- Knead the dough only briefly until it reaches a roughly homogeneous consistency and in no case for too long.
- Do not roll out the dough too thinly. Otherwise, the cookies may taste dry after baking.
- Do not bake the cookies longer than necessary. After baking, they should retain their light color.
- Depending on the size of the cookies, the specified baking time could differ.
- Depending on the size of the cookie cutter, the number of cookies given could be different.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for making the heart cookies at the top of the post.