Whether served with a sauce, in a vegetable stir-fry or with fresh herbs, this popular Italian classic can be served in a variety of ways and tastes delicious. With this recipe you can make vegan gnocchi yourself. It's very easy and quick, so you can safely do without the purchased ready-made product in the future.
- 500 g potatoes
- approx. 120 g flour
- 50 g durum wheat semolina
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- flour for the work surface
Peel potatoes, boil them in salted water until they are cooked, drain the water and leave the cooked potatoes in the saucepan on the hot stove for a short time so that the remaining liquid evaporates.
Mash the cooked potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and let the mashed potatoes cool to firm.
Add durum wheat semolina and then flour in batches and knead into a soft dough.
Dust the work surface with flour. Form the dough into two long rolls, about Ø 1.5 cm thick, and cut each roll into pieces about 2 cm wide. Roll each small piece of dough over the tines of a fork with your thumb to make grooves on it.
Bring salted water to a boil in a saucepan, put the gnocchi in it, cook them for about 3 - 5 minutes until they float to the surface, and get them out with a slotted spoon.
Serve the gnocchi either immediately after cooking with a sauce or fry them briefly in a little vegetable oil until lightly golden brown.
- The best gnocchi are made with as little flour as possible. Therefore, use floury potatoes, steam them after cooking and let the mashed potatoes cool thoroughly so that they become firm, dry and do not absorb so much flour.
- The amount of flour indicated may vary. Add the flour to the potato mixture in batches because of this, until the dough is no longer too sticky, but still very soft.
- To make the small potato dumplings even faster, you can omit the forming of grooves and cook the dough pieces directly after cutting without grooves.
- Cooling the potatoes is not included in the preparation time.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for making the gnocchi vegan yourself at the top of the post.