Chocolate sponge layer cake with sour cream
Fluffy, very soft chocolate sponge and fluffy creamy sour cream filling – that's what this layer cake is made of. It tastes so tender that every piece of it practically melts in your mouth. The other advantage of the cake is that you can make it yourself very quickly with this recipe using just a few common ingredients. And with its layers it is an eye-catcher on the dining table as well.
for the dough
- 380 g sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 110 g flour
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 7 g baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
for the cream
- 200 g cream (cold)
- 200 g sour cream (cold)
- 50 g powdered sugar
for the dusting
- 50 g of any nuts (finely chopped or ground)
Making the dough
Mix sweetened condensed milk, eggs, vanilla and salt with a hand mixer until homogeneous.
Mix flour with cocoa powder and baking powder.
Add the dry flour mixture to the liquid condensed milk mixture and mix briefly and briskly to form a thick dough.
Spread the dough evenly on a baking sheet lined with baking paper, bake the sponge cake base in a preheated oven at 180 °C top and bottom heat for about 10 minutes and let it cool.
Cut off an edge of about 1 cm from all sides of the sponge cake and crumble it finely. Then cut the sponge into four equally sized square cake layers.
Making the cake
Spread the four sponge cake layers with the cream and stack them on top of each other. Spread the cream around the edges of the cake as well.
Mix the sponge cake crumbs with nuts and sprinkle the edges of the cake with them. You can also decorate the cake as desired. Refrigerate the cake for at least 3 hours.
- You can adjust the amount of powdered sugar for the cream according to your taste.
- To check if the chocolate sponge is baked, use a toothpick. Alternatively, you can use a finger to gently press on the surface of the sponge about halfway down. If it springs back after pressing, and no marks remain to be seen, it is ready.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for making the chocolate sponge layer cake with sour cream at the top of the post.