Indian chickpea curry vegan with rice
This Indian chickpea curry with rice is vegan, healthy, filling and so delicious. With its spices, the dish warms you from the inside on cold days and spreads an irresistible aroma. It is an ideal main dish for lunch or dinner that you can make easily, quickly and with few ingredients.
- 480 g pickled chickpeas (drained weight)
- 2 carrots
- 1 yellow bell bell pepper
- 1 red bell bell pepper
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- approx. 5 g ginger (small piece, peeled)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (for frying)
- freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- cayenne pepper
Cook basmati rice according to package instructions.
Cut carrots, bell bell pepper and onion into small cubes. Mince ginger and garlic.
Melt coconut oil in a pan, add onion, garlic and ginger to the pan and stir fry for about 2 minutes.
Add curry powder, paprika powder, coriander powder and nutmeg and cayenne pepper to taste and continue to stir fry for about 1 minute.
Add carrots and bell bell pepper and stir-fry for another 3 minutes or so.
Add coconut milk, agave syrup and chickpeas and stir. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes until the vegetables soften, seasoning the curry to taste with salt and any additional spices.
Add freshly squeezed lime juice to the chickpea curry before serving.
- Other spices can be used in the recipe according to taste.
- Agave syrup adds some sweetness to the dish, but is not a must in the recipe.
- The cooking time of rice is not included in the preparation time of the dish.
- Instead of rice, other side dishes go well with the Indian chickpea curry.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for making Indian chickpea curry with rice at the top of the post.