Orange poppy seed cake vegan
Incredibly juicy, soft, aromatic and so delicious is this poppy seed cake with orange. It comes without animal products and is therefore vegan. The recipe for the delicious orange poppy seed cake is very simple. So you can bake it yourself quickly and without much effort. It is ideal for dessert after a meal with coffee, tea or for a special occasion.
for the dough
- 250 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 75 g ground poppy seeds
- 170 g soft wheat semolina
- 100 g sugar
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- fresh peel of 2 organic oranges (coarsely chopped or grated)
- 5 g cornstarch
- 8 g vanilla sugar
- 5 g baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- 130 g flour
- vegetable oil to grease the baking pan
- flour for dusting the baking pan
for the orange syrup
- 50 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 40 ml water
- 30 g sugar
Preparation of the dough
Pour boiling water over poppy seeds and let them steep for 5 minutes. Then pour off the water, add sugar to the poppy seeds, stir and puree with a blender.
Mix flour, soft wheat semolina, orange zest, cornstarch, vanilla sugar and table soda in a mixing bowl.
Add the poppy seed mixture to the flour mixture and stir.
Add orange juice and vegetable oil, mix to form a thick batter and let it swell for 10 minutes.
Line the bottom of the baking springform pan with packing paper, grease the sides of the pan with vegetable oil and dust with flour, tapping off the excess flour as you go. Pour the dough into the baking pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for about 40 minutes.
Preparation of the orange syrup
- Use only freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Only use zest from organic oranges.
- Cut the orange peel very thinly without the white layer, otherwise the cake will taste bitter later.
- Adjust the amount of sugar for the batter to taste.
- To check if the vegan poppy seed cake with orange is done baking, do a chopstick test.
- The cooling time from the cake is not included in the preparation time.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for baking the vegan orange poppy seed cake at the top of the post.