Dieser Beitrag ist auch verfügbar auf: Deutsch
This delicious cake consists of a moist sponge cake, the delicate cream cheese cream and fruity mandarin orange filling. Decorated as a sun with the airy Italian meringue, it is an eye-catcher on the dining table and fits perfectly for a special occasion. You can make the cake yourself without much effort. A detailed sun cake recipe with exact quantities and step-by-step instructions can be found here at the bottom.
For birth, christening or 1st baby birthday party
The sweet sun cake is perfect especially for a baby party after birth, a christening party or for the 1st children’s birthday for adults. Since the decorating cream contains food coloring, you should not give the cake to your kids.
I made the sun cake for the 1st baby birthday for adults. The child got the sugar free healthy kids’ cake in the process.
Use fruits of your choice
I filled the sun cake with a mixture of canned mandarins and oranges. They give the cake a fruity taste and combine very well with the cream cheese cream. In addition, they are a perfect color match for a sun cake.
Since there was juice left over from the canned mandarins and oranges anyway, I used it to soak the sponge cake. This made it particularly moist.
Alternatively, you can fill the sun cake with other fruits of your choice. It is delicious with bananas, among other things, like my banana cream cheese cake. In summer, fresh berries are ideal for it. With raspberries or blueberries, for example, the sun cake tastes very delicious.
You can soak the sponge cake in this case with an ordinary sugar syrup. Make it with sugar and water, as I did it for my Wenceslas cake or cake “Slavyanka”, among others. Instead of rum, you can flavor the syrup with vanilla, for example.
How to decorate sun cake?
As the sun, I decorated this cake with the Italian meringue. The cream is used to fill, among other things, the Soviet korzinochki and puff pastry horns.
In Russian cuisine, cakes for all kinds of occasions are decorated mainly with the Italian meringue. This is not surprising. Because the cream is stable and can be easily colored. It tastes light and airy, even if a bit too sweet. In addition, it tolerates heat quite well, so you can transport the cakes decorated with it without any problems.
To make the Italian meringue even more stable, I cooked the syrup with some apple pectin**. But this is alternative and does not necessarily have to be.
I then colored the Italian meringue with yellow food coloring**. To squirt the “sunbeams” I used the piping bag** with a leaf nozzle. Instead of the leaf nozzle, however, also goes among other things the open star nozzle or pleated nozzle. Here you can simply experiment.
I also colored a small amount of cream with pink food coloring. With the help of a hole nozzle and a star nozzle, I then injected the “cheeks” and the flowers, respectively.
The eyes and mouth I have drawn the “sun” with dark chocolate.
Instead of the Italian meringue, you can decorate the sun cake with a simple butter cream. To do this, whip room-warm butter and sweetened condensed milk together into an airy cream.
You can also make a more elaborate butter cream, for example, according to the recipe for the Soviet sponge cake, sponge slices or cake “Skazka”, and decorate the sun cake with it.
Since you usually can’t eat so much of the butter cream, in this case I recommend you to pipe only one or two rows of “sunbeams” on the top and bottom of the cake. The middle you spread before thinly with the cream.
This sun cake is
- incredibly delicious,
- with canned mandarins and oranges,
- also possible with other fruits,
- a sweet eye-catcher on the dining table,
- easy to make yourself,
- ideal for birth, christening party.
Simple sun cake recipe
The preparation of the cake itself is quite simple and quick. The only thing that takes a little more time and is more elaborate is decorating the cake.
For the cake, first you need to make a classic sponge cake and let it cool.
Then whip the cream cheese, cream and powdered sugar to a creamy consistency.
Now you can start assembling the cake. To do this, cut the sponge cake lengthwise into two cake layers and soak them with the mandarin orange juice from the can. Spread the cream on one of the cake layers and put the mandarins and oranges on it. Place the second cake layer on top and chill the cake for about 1 hour.
After that you can decorate it. To do this, cook the classic Italian meringue, color it accordingly and coat the cake with it. Then decorate the cake as a sun.
How to make sun cake: tips and tricks
- You can adjust the amount of powdered sugar for the cream cheese cream according to your taste.
- Instead of canned mandarins and oranges, you can use other fruits. For example, fresh bananas, raspberries or blueberries go well with it.
- You can omit apple pectin from the Italian meringue. But with pectin the meringue is more stable, so it’s a little easier to work with.
- Do not overdo the apple pectin, otherwise the Italian meringue may become too firm.
- To boil the sugar syrup for the Italian meringue, you’ll need a kitchen thermometer**.
- For piping the “sunbeams” you can use open star nozzle or pleated nozzle among others instead of leaf nozzle.
Have you made sun cake yourself using this recipe? I’m looking forward to your result, your star rating and your comment here below how it turned out and tasted to you.
Looking for more fancy cake recipes? Try:
- “Cherepacha” – recipe for Russian turtle cake
- Winter hat cake – recipe for fancy knit hat cake
- How to make tree stump cake – easy recipe for chocolate tree trunk cake
- Ø 20 cm baking springform tin
- kitchen thermometer
- piping bag with leaf and star nozzle
- piping bag
for the sponge cake
for the cream
- 230 g cream cheese
- 230 g cream
- 60 g powdered sugar**
for the filling
- 175 g canned mandarins and oranges (drained weight)
for the Italian meringue (for decorating)
- 3 egg whites (113 g for me)
- approx. 226 g sugar** (twice as much as egg white)
- 75 ml water (1/3 of the sugar amount)
- 2 g apple pectin**
- 1/4 tsp citric acid powder food grade
- 1 pinch of salt
additionally for decorating
- 10 g dark chocolate
- food coloring yellow**
- food coloring pink**
Preparation of the filling
- Drain the canned mandarins and oranges thoroughly, catching the juice in a clean bowl.
Preparation of the sponge cake
- Line the bottom of the baking pan with baking paper.
- Beat eggs, sugar, vanilla sugar and salt until fluffy and light.
- Fold in flour to make an airy thick sponge batter.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan, bake the sponge cake in a preheated oven at 180 °C top and bottom heat for about 25 minutes and let it cool.
Preparation of the cream
- Whip cream cheese, cream and powdered sugar to a creamy mass.
Preparation of the cake
- Cut the sponge cake lengthwise into two equally thick cake layers.
- Soak the two cake layers with the mandarin orange juice collected from the can.
- Spread all of the cream cheese cream on one of the two cake layers evenly.
- Spread the drained mandarin and orange pieces on top of the cream.
- Place the second cake layer on top and chill the cake for 1 hour.
Preparation of the Italian meringue
- Put egg whites and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Put sugar, apple pectin and citric acid in a small saucepan with a thick bottom and mix.
- Add water and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly so that the sugar dissolves before it reaches a boil.
- Let the sugar syrup simmer over low heat until it reaches 118 °C.
- In parallel, whip the egg whites until foamy (not stiff!).
- Once the sugar syrup has reached the necessary temperature, immediately add it slowly to the egg white mixture in a thin stream, without stopping to continue beating.
- After the sugar syrup is introduced into the egg white mixture, beat the meringue for about 7 minutes until it becomes firm.
Decorating the cake
- Melt the dark chocolate, pour it into a piping bag with a small hole and pipe the "eyes" and the "mouth" for the "sun" onto a sheet of baking paper.
- Let them dry briefly in a cool place and then carefully remove them from the baking paper.
- Transfer a small amount of the Italian meringue into a clean bowl and color it with pink food coloring.
- Color the remaining Italian meringue with yellow food coloring.
- Coat the top and sides of the cake completely with the yellow Italian meringue.
- Transfer the remaining yellow meringue to the piping bag with the leaf spout and pipe "sunbeams" around the sides of the cake.
- Transfer the remaining yellow meringue to a piping bag with a small hole and pipe balls on the surface around the edge of the cake.
- Place the "eyes" and "mouth" of the "sun" on the cake.
- Pour a very small amount of the pink cream into a piping bag with a hole and pipe the "cheeks" of the "sun".
- Fill the remaining pink cream into the piping bag with the star nozzle and pipe flowers on the "head" of the "sun".
- You can adjust the amount of powdered sugar for the cream cheese cream to taste.
- Apple pectin can be omitted from the Italian meringue. However, with pectin the meringue is more stable, so it is a little easier to work with.
- Do not overdo it with the apple pectin, or the Italian meringue may become too firm.
- To cook the sugar syrup for the Italian meringue, you will need a kitchen thermometer**.
- For piping the "sunbeams", you can use open star nozzle or pleated piping nozzle, among others, instead of leaf nozzle.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for making the sun cake at the top of the post.
If you are using Pinterest, you can pin the following picture: