Dieser Beitrag ist auch verfügbar auf: Deutsch
Among many other Russian soups, the cabbage soup shchi is one of the most popular of them. As the name suggests, it is cooked with white cabbage. Here I show you a vegan recipe for Russian white cabbage soup. It not only tastes incredibly delicious, but it fills you up and is healthy because it contains a lot of other vegetables besides white cabbage. Cabbage soup is easy and quick to make from common ingredients. It is perfect as a warm lunch or dinner, especially on cold days. A detailed recipe for vegetarian cabbage soup shchi with exact quantities and step-by-step instructions is available below.
What is shchi?
Shchi is a popular Russian cabbage soup. It is also common in other Eastern European countries. Depending on the country and region, there are different shchi recipes. The main ingredient of the soup is white cabbage. In addition, meat is usually included in the soup. In addition, there are various vegetables. As with the other Russian soups, sautéing vegetables is an important step in the preparation. In addition, cabbage soup is never pureed. It consists of pieces of vegetables and clear broth.
How to make vegetarian shchi: the recipe
The exact quantities and step-by-step instructions, according to which you can make the Russian cabbage soup vegan yourself, you will find below in the box recipe.
For the vegetarian shchi recipe, you will need mostly white cabbage. You will also need various vegetables. The vegetables I used for the Russian cabbage soup include zucchini, potatoes, carrots and bell peppers. I still added tomato juice to the soup to give it a bit of a tart flavor. Also, don’t miss onions and garlic for some spiciness and flavor. Bay leaves, spices, herbs and vegetable oil for frying is still needed for the recipe.
How to make vegan shchi: this is how it works
- Chop onions and fry them very briefly in vegetable oil.
- Add coarsely grated carrots and peppers and fry for about 7 minutes.
- Add tomato juice and fry everything for about 3 minutes.
- Peel potatoes, cut into cubes and boil in 1.5 l of water.
- Cut white cabbage into strips and zucchini into cubes, add both to potatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add sautéed vegetables from the pan and cook everything for 5 minutes.
- Chop herbs, mince garlic and add to soup along with dried bay leaves. Season the cabbage soup, add salt and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Let the white cabbage soup rest for 15 minutes and serve!
How does the Russian cabbage soup taste?
Shchi tastes very versatile with dominant taste of white cabbage thanks to a wide range of vegetables. Since some vegetables are sautéed before cooking, they add some flavor to the vegetarian cabbage soup. Bay leaves, which are very common in Russian cuisine and are often added to soups and main dishes, add some spice to the soup. A combination of different ingredients makes shchi soup irresistibly delicious. Especially on cold days it makes you full and warms you from the inside. By the way, in the next few days, like other Russian soups, cabbage soup tastes even better than right after cooking.
How to serve the Russian white cabbage soup?
Serve the shchi warm with a spoonful of sour cream or vegan natural yogurt, which you put directly into the plate with the soup. Also, add fresh herbs, such as dill or parsley, and fresh bread to the soup. Of course, vegan cabbage soup tastes best with homemade bread. Shchi soup is suitable as a main course or appetizer. You can serve it for lunch or dinner.
Vegetarian shchi: healthy, tasty and versatile
Russian cabbage soup shchi vegetarian contains a lot of vitamins thanks to vegetables. So it is healthy, filling and tastes delicious. Vegan white cabbage soup can be served as a warm appetizer or main course. Especially served with bread, it makes you feel full. Since shchi soup can be made easily and quickly from common ingredients that you may already have at home, it is ideal for lunch or dinner during the week.
This shchi soup
- is vegan,
- is healthy,
- contains white cabbage and many other vegetables,
- is very tasty,
- tastes versatile,
- fills you up,
- is low in fat,
- is meat-free,
- is easy and quick to make from common ingredients,
- is ideal as a warm appetizer or main course,
- tastes even better in the next few days and can be made in advance,
- warms from the inside on cold days,
- can be kept in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
Vegan Russian cabbage soup: not only for vegans or vegetarians
This cabbage soup is guaranteed to convince not only vegans. Especially those who like white cabbage will love the shchi soup. A combination of tenderly cooked white cabbage, potatoes and zucchini as well as aromatically sautéed carrots, peppers and onions makes the Russian white cabbage soup especially delicious. Herbs and spices round out its flavor. As you have already seen, the shchi recipe is quite easy: cut the vegetables, fry them and then boil them, ready! With the vegetarian cabbage soup, you can conjure up a delicious lunch or dinner in a flash, which will certainly delight not only vegans or vegetarians.
How to make your shchi perfect: tips and tricks for cooking and more
- You can omit zucchini or peppers from the recipe and use other vegetables or simply more potatoes and carrots instead.
- You can add other spices to the white cabbage soup according to your taste.
- Instead of parsley you can use other herbs, for example dill.
- You can omit tomato juice according to your taste. However, it gives the soup a slight acidity and more flavor.
- The vegetarian cabbage soup will taste even better the next day.
- Store the shchi soup in a closed pot in the refrigerator. It will keep for about 1 week. Do not heat the whole soup in the pot before serving, but only the portion that will be eaten immediately afterwards. If you heat the whole pot of white cabbage soup several times, it will spoil quickly.
- Serve the Russian cabbage soup warm with vegan sour cream, fresh herbs and bread.
Have you made Russian shchi soup vegetarian using this recipe? I look forward to your star rating and comment on the recipe below about how you liked and enjoyed the white cabbage soup.
Not enough of delicious Russian soups? Try also:
- Kharcho vegan: 2 recipes for popular spicy soup from Georgia
- Borscht without beets – vegan recipe with tomatoes
- Okroshka – vegetarian recipe for popular Russian cold soup
- Sorrel soup Russian – vegetarian green borscht recipe
- Holodnik / svekolnik: recipe for popular Slavic cold beet soup
Shchi vegetarian (Russian cabbage soup vegan)
- 400 g white cabbage
- 250 g zucchini
- 360 g potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1 bell bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 70 ml tomato juice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- fresh parsley
- 2 dried bay leaves
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1,5 l water
- Chop onion, grate carrot and bell bell pepper coarsely.
- Fry the onion in a pan in vegetable oil, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add grated carrot and bell bell pepper to the onion in the pan and stir-fry for about 7 minutes.
- Add tomato juice and stir-fry everything for another 3 minutes.
- Peel potatoes and cut them into cubes. Put them in a saucepan with 1.5 l of water and boil it.
- Cut white cabbage into strips, zucchini into cubes, add both to the potatoes in the saucepan and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the roasted vegetables from the pan also to the cooking pot and cook everything for another 5 minutes.
- Add finely chopped parsley, mashed garlic and dried bay leaves to the other ingredients in the saucepan, season the white cabbage soup with salt and pepper and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Then let the soup rest for about 15 minutes.
- You can use other vegetables instead of zucchini or peppers.
- Use spices and herbs according to your taste.
- You can omit tomato juice if you like. It gives the soup a slight acidity and more flavor.
- The vegetarian cabbage soup tastes even better the next day.
- Serve the vegan shchi soup warm with vegan sour cream, fresh herbs and bread.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for making vegetarian cabbage soup at the top of the post.