Dieser Beitrag ist auch verfügbar auf: Deutsch
Very airy and soft taste these American pancakes. At a breakfast table, your loved ones are guaranteed not to be able to resist them. Here I show you how to make the fluffiest pancakes yourself. It’s very easy, quick and requires only a few ingredients. You can find a detailed pancakes recipe with exact quantities and step-by-step instructions here at the very bottom.
How to make fluffy pancakes – the secret
Instead of adding eggs directly to the batter, my recipe separates egg yolks from egg whites and beats the two separately, folding the beaten egg whites into the batter last. This gives you an airy and light batter. And this also results in correspondingly very fluffy and soft pancakes. Such a preparation of the pancake batter takes just a little more time, but the result can be seen and especially tasted.
Moreover, the right consistency of the batter is important to get fluffy pancakes in the end. The batter must be viscous, so you should adjust the amount of flour yourself. If the batter is too chewy, the pancakes might taste firm. If the batter is too runny, it will melt in the pan, leaving you with thin and barely fluffy pancakes.
How to make American pancakes – quick version
If you need to make pancakes in a hurry, so that you don’t have time to separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and whip them individually, you can also make them yourself using the quick method. To do this, mix all the liquid ingredients in one bowl, namely beaten eggs, milk and melted and cooled butter. In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Now add the dry flour mixture to the liquid milk-egg mixture and mix everything to a thick batter, from which you can now fry American pancakes. After this method of preparation, the pancakes will be a little thinner, but still very tasty. In the pictures here you can see the difference between the very fluffy and faster pancakes. The first ones look much thicker.
Refine the batter for different flavors
You can make your pancakes in different flavors by refining the batter as you like. For example, you can add some vanilla or cinnamon. For fruity pancakes, you can add fresh fruit to the batter. For chocolate pancakes, add some cocoa powder or chopped chocolate to the batter. Delicious savory pancakes can be made by adding grated cheese to the batter. You can also make delicious savory pancakes with fresh herbs, such as spring onions, or with spices of your choice, including paprika powder.
How to serve American pancakes?
Traditionally, American pancakes are served with maple syrup and butter. But you can also serve them with other toppings. Very good toppings include
- berry or flower syrup,
- powdered sugar,
- fresh fruit,
- fruit sauces,
- ice cream, for example plombir ice cream,
- vanilla sauce,
- caramel sauce,
- sweetened condensed milk,
- whipped cream,
- chocolate spread,
- nut puree,
- cream cheese or cottage cheese.
Pancakes are very popular for breakfast, of course, especially in America. But you can also enjoy them as a dessert or snack.
How to store pancakes?
American pancakes taste best fresh, right after preparation. Since they are ready very quickly, you can make them just before breakfast. Store the leftover pancakes in an airtight container, such as a lunch box, in the refrigerator and eat them within the next few days. You can warm them up briefly beforehand in the microwave, oven or pan.
Different pancakes recipes without milk
The classic pancake batter is made with milk. However, there are many other recipes for the American pancakes with buttermilk or kefir instead of milk. The batter can also be made from a mixture of milk and sour cream. In addition, you can make pancakes vegan. In this case, instead of cow’s milk, you use a plant milk alternative. Eggs are replaced with mashed bananas or applesauce.
A mixture of oladi and blini
American pancakes can be seen as a cross between Russian oladi and blini – more accurately, they are something in between. Pancakes are slightly larger than oladushki, but smaller than blinchiki. They are fluffy like oladi, but unlike them, they are not fried in a lot of oil, but in a pan that is only lightly greased, just like blini. In terms of taste, however, pancakes are completely different from both variants of Russian pancakes. Also, unlike many other types of pancakes, they contain baking powder as an ingredient, which, among other things, is responsible for their fluffiness.
These pancakes are
- very tasty,
- easy and quick to make with just a few ingredients,
- sweet and savory to serve,
- perfect for breakfast, dessert or snack,
- classic of the American cuisine.
The best pancakes recipe simple and fast
The recipe is very simple and fast, so you can conjure up the fluffy American pancakes in no time on the dining table. Here you can get a rough idea of how the preparation works and what you need for the recipe. The exact quantities and step-by-step instructions for making the fluffy pancakes can be found in the recipe box below.
For the recipe you need
- eggs – yolks separated from whites,
- butter – melted and cooled,
- some sugar and salt,
- baking powder.
How to make American pancakes: here’s how to do it (Check out the detailed recipe at the bottom.)
- First, beat egg yolks with sugar until fluffy, then stir in milk and butter. Then you add flour with baking powder and mix it into a viscous batter. Then whip the egg whites with salt until stiff and fold them into the batter.
- Now bake the batter into pancakes over medium heat. Done!
How to make fluffy pancakes: tips and tricks
- You can adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste. For example, if you want to enjoy the pancakes savory, you can reduce the amount of sugar.
- For vanilla, you can use vanilla sugar, vanilla powder, vanilla extract or vanilla bean scraped out. You can also just omit vanilla if you want to serve the pancakes savory.
- The amount of flour listed in the recipe may vary. The pancake batter needs to be viscous, but not too chewy and not too runny. If your batter is too runny, add some more flour. Otherwise, it will melt easily in the pan and your pancakes will be too thin and not fluffy. If your batter is too chewy, add a little more milk. Add flour or milk to the batter before folding in beaten egg whites.
- Stir the batter only until all the ingredients are combined, and definitely not too long, or the American pancakes may taste rubbery.
- Grease the pan only lightly and only once before baking with vegetable oil. Under no circumstances should pancakes float in oil while baking.
- Bake pancakes over medium or, depending on your stove, slightly lower than medium heat so they don’t burn.
Have you made fluffy pancakes with this recipe? I look forward to your result, your star rating and your comment below on how they turned out and tasted. What are your favorite toppings to enjoy them with?
Can’t get enough of delicious pancakes of all kinds? Try also:
- Syrniki – delicious recipe for popular Russian cheese pancakes
- Blini filled with tvorog – recipe for sweet filled Russian pancakes
Fluffy American pancakes
- 300 ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 30 g butter melted and cooled
- 30 g sugar
- approx. 250 g flour
- 8 g baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- vanilla (alternative)
- vegetable oil to grease the pan
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites.
- Beat egg yolks with sugar until you get an airy light mass.
- Add milk, melted and cooled butter and alternatively vanilla and mix until homogeneous.
- Mix flour with baking powder, add it to the milk-yolk mixture and mix briefly to form a viscous batter. If the batter is too runny, add some more flour. It should not be able to melt quickly in a pan. If the batter is too chewy, add some more milk.
- Beat egg whites with salt until stiff and fold them into the batter so that you end up with a fluffy thick batter.
- Grease the pan lightly with vegetable oil and heat it over medium heat.
- Using a ladle or a tablespoon, pour some batter into the pan, spread it into a circle about 10 cm in diameter, and bake it over medium heat for about 1 - 2 minutes until golden brown on one side first. Turn it over as soon as small bubbles have formed on the surface and bake it from the other side as well for about 1 - 2 minutes until golden brown. Repeat the procedure until the batter is used up.
- The amount of sugar can be adjusted according to taste.
- The amount of flour given may vary. The pancake batter should be viscous, but not too thick and not too runny. If the batter is too runny, add some more flour. Otherwise, it will melt easily in the pan and the pancakes will be too thin and not fluffy. If the batter is too chewy, add a little more milk. When doing this, add flour or milk to the batter before folding in beaten egg whites.
- Stir the batter just until all the ingredients are combined, and definitely not too long, or the American pancakes may taste rubbery.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for making the fluffy pancakes at the top of the post.