Dieser Beitrag ist auch verfügbar auf: Deutsch
Incredibly juicy, soft, aromatic and so delicious is this poppy seed cake with orange. It comes without animal products and is therefore vegan. The recipe for the delicious orange poppy seed cake is very simple. So you can bake it yourself quickly and without much effort. It is ideal for dessert after a meal with coffee, tea or for a special occasion. You can find a detailed vegan orange poppy seed cake recipe with exact quantities and step-by-step instructions here at the very bottom.
World’s best vegan poppy seed cake with orange
This cake is not a classic poppy seed cake. It’s enhanced with orange juice and orange zest, which makes it extra moist and flavorful. It tastes so soft that it melts in your mouth immediately. What’s also great about this orange poppy seed cake is that it’s made entirely from plant-based ingredients. As delicious as it tastes, however, no one is guaranteed to get the idea that the cake is vegan. Plus, it’s a snap to bake. So be sure to try the orange poppy seed cake!
In which baking pan can I bake the cake?
I usually bake this cake in a Ø 20 cm baking springform pan because I like it high and not so flat. You can alternatively use a Ø 22 or Ø 24 cm springform pan. Then the cake is not so high, but the baking is faster. I had already baked the cake in a Ø 24 cm springform pan. Since the baking time was 30 minutes instead of 40 minutes. In addition, you can bake the vegan poppy seed cake with orange in a loaf pan or a small square pan. Just note that the baking time given in the recipe may vary greatly depending on your baking dish.
Serve orange poppy seed cake vegan
The vegan orange poppy seed cake not only tastes incredibly delicious, but it also looks very pretty when you cut into it. So you can serve it at any celebration, for example a birthday. And because the cake is ready in a flash, it’s also perfect for dessert during the week or at the weekend with tea and coffee.
Store soaked poppy seed cake with orange
Store the cake in an airtight container, such as a Tupperware, so it doesn’t get dry and tastes just as moist the next day. You should store the cake in the refrigerator. It will keep there for about 5 days. The orange poppy seed cake will not taste less delicious in the next few days than right after baking. So you can bake it a few days earlier before serving.
This poppy seed cake with orange is
- vegan – without egg, milk, butter and other animal products,
- incredibly moist,
- not too sweet,
- very tasty,
- drizzled with orange syrup,
- easy and quick to bake from common ingredients,
- ideal for dessert during the week or for a celebration.
Juicy orange poppy seed cake vegan: the recipe
You can find the exact quantities and step-by-step instructions for making this vegan orange poppy seed cake yourself in the boxed recipe below.
The recipe for this orange poppy seed cake is very, very simple. You don’t need any extraordinary ingredients. The preparation is very fast. You just need to mix all the ingredients to the batter, pour the batter into the baking pan and wait.
For the dough you need
- orange juice,
- fresh orange peel,
- ground poppy seeds,
- soft wheat semolina,
- vegetable oil,
- corn starch,
- vanilla sugar
- and table soda (baking soda).
The orange juice should be freshly squeezed. Then the vegan poppy seed cake tastes best. You can either roughly grate the orange peel from the oranges, or cut it very thinly, without the white layer, from the oranges and then cut them into pieces. Use organic oranges for this.
You will also need some vegetable oil to grease the baking pan and some flour to dust the baking pan after you grease it.
To soak the poppy seed cake, you still need to cook the orange syrup. For this you will need
- orange juice,
- and sugar.
Baking poppy seed cake with orange vegan: this is how it works
- Pour hot water over the poppy seeds, let them steep for a short time and drain the water. Add sugar and puree briefly with a hand blender.
- Mix flour, soft wheat semolina, orange zest, cornstarch, vanilla sugar and cooking soda.
- Add the poppy seed mixture and stir to combine.
- Add orange juice and vegetable oil, mix to a thick batter and let swell for 10 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake at 180 °C for about 40 minutes.
- For the orange syrup, briefly boil orange juice, water and sugar. Generously drizzle the hot poppy seed cake with it and let it cool down. The vegan poppy seed cake with orange is ready!
With these tips and tricks you can make the cake successfully
- Use only freshly squeezed orange juice for the cake and not bottled juice. This will make the cake really juicy, fruity and aromatic.
- You should use peel from organic oranges to avoid toxic pesticides that mainly accumulate in the peel.
- Cut the orange peel only very thinly without the white layer so that the cake does not taste bitter later.
- You can either grate the zest from the oranges with a coarse grater or cut it very thinly and then cut it into small cubes.
- This vegan cake does not taste too sweet. If you like it sweeter, add more sugar to the batter.
- Besides orange juice, vegetable oil also makes the cake very moist. So you should not reduce the amount of it.
- To bake the cake you need a Ø 20 cm baking pan. You can also bake the cake in a Ø 22 or Ø 24 cm springform pan. In this case, be sure to adjust the specified baking time.
- To check whether the cake is baked, you should do a stick test. To do this, insert a toothpick briefly into the center of the cake and see if it stays almost clean after you pull it out. If the toothpick remains smeared in raw batter, you still need to bake the vegan poppy seed cake. If only a few juicy crumbs remain on the toothpick, the cake is ready.
- Store the cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for about 5 days.
Did you bake the vegan poppy seed cake with orange according to this recipe? I look forward to your result, your star rating and your comment on the recipe below, how you succeeded and tasted the cake.
Orange poppy seed cake vegan
- Ø 20 cm large baking pan
for the dough
- 250 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 75 g ground poppy seeds
- 170 g soft wheat semolina
- 100 g sugar
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- fresh peel of 2 organic oranges (coarsely chopped or grated)
- 5 g cornstarch
- 8 g vanilla sugar
- 5 g baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- 130 g flour
- vegetable oil to grease the baking pan
- flour for dusting the baking pan
for the orange syrup
- 50 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 40 ml water
- 30 g sugar
Preparation of the dough
- Pour boiling water over poppy seeds and let them steep for 5 minutes. Then pour off the water, add sugar to the poppy seeds, stir and puree with a blender.
- Mix flour, soft wheat semolina, orange zest, cornstarch, vanilla sugar and table soda in a mixing bowl.
- Add the poppy seed mixture to the flour mixture and stir.
- Add orange juice and vegetable oil, mix to form a thick batter and let it swell for 10 minutes.
- Line the bottom of the baking springform pan with packing paper, grease the sides of the pan with vegetable oil and dust with flour, tapping off the excess flour as you go. Pour the dough into the baking pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for about 40 minutes.
Preparation of the orange syrup
- Put orange juice, water and sugar in a small saucepan, boil it while stirring (The sugar must have dissolved before boiling.) and take it off the heat.
Soaking the cake
- While the cake is still hot, soak it generously with the orange syrup, let the syrup soak in well and cool the cake in the baking pan.
- Use only freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Only use zest from organic oranges.
- Cut the orange peel very thinly without the white layer, otherwise the cake will taste bitter later.
- Adjust the amount of sugar for the batter to taste.
- To check if the vegan poppy seed cake with orange is done baking, do a chopstick test.
- The cooling time from the cake is not included in the preparation time.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for baking the vegan orange poppy seed cake at the top of the post.