Dieser Beitrag ist auch verfügbar auf: Deutsch
Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside taste these homemade fries. You can enjoy them as a snack or serve them with a side dish as a main meal. Here I’ll show you how to make fries in the oven. Not only will they be heavenly delicious, but they’ll also be low fat. You can find a detailed fries recipe with exact quantities and step-by-step instructions right below.
How to make oven fries – this is how they taste crispy
To make crispy and at the same time low fat fries yourself, you should keep a few things in mind. Then you will succeed as they usually taste in a restaurant or a snack bar.
Use waxy potatoes
For crispy oven fries, you should use potatoes with little starch. This means that waxy potato varieties are best for this. Alternatively, you can use mainly waxy potatoes.
Rinse cut potatoes and pat dry
After cutting potatoes into sticks, you should rinse them thoroughly to wash off the starch that escapes. Be sure to dry them properly with a towel afterwards so that no moisture remains.
Cut potatoes properly
To make your homemade fries taste crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, you should cut the potatoes not too thick, but not too thin either. About 1 cm thick should be the potato sticks. Also, all the sticks should be about the same size.
Roll in cornstarch
Roll the potato sticks in cornstarch after you’ve dried them off. It will draw out the last of the moisture and provide a crispy top layer after baking.
Serve your homemade fries right after you take them out of the oven. Because only then, while they are still hot, they taste crispy.
Spice up with spices
I seasoned my oven fries with salt only this time. But you can use different spices to spice up them. For example, season them with garlic granules, onion powder, pepper, paprika powder, ginger powder, turmeric powder. You can also use a ready-made fry seasoning or make it yourself.
In deep fryer or hot air fryer
You can get low fat fries not only if you make them in the oven, but also in an air fryer. However, if you don’t want healthy fries, but crispy ones that taste like the original from a snack bar, you have to make them yourself in a deep fryer with a lot of fat. You should fry them twice so that they are cooked on the inside and crispy on the outside. So, first you pre-fry the fries until they have taken on a pale color. Then you drain them and let them cool down before deep-frying them until they are golden and crispy. If you don’t have a deep fryer at home, you can just as easily deep fry your fries twice in a high saucepan in plenty of vegetable oil.
The homemade baked fries are
- very tasty,
- low fat,
- healthier than fried,
- easy and quick to make,
- ideal as a snack or with a side dish, for example with falafels, as a main meal.
How to make fries in the oven: the recipe
The fries recipe is very simple and comes with few ingredients. Here you can form a rough idea of how the preparation proceeds, and what you need for it. The exact quantities and step-by-step instructions on how to make fries in the oven can be found here below in the box recipe.
- first of all potatoes,
- vegetable oil,
How to make baked fries: here’s how (Check out the detailed recipe below.)
- You peel and cut potatoes into sticks, rinse them under cold water and pat them dry.
- Now mix the potato sticks first with cornstarch and then with vegetable oil and salt.
- Then spread the potato sticks on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake them at 220 °C for about 25 minutes, turning them once in between. Done!
How to make fries in the oven: tips and tricks
- Use waxy potatoes for the recipe.
- Rinse the potatoes thoroughly after chopping and be sure to pat them dry.
- You can spice up your fries with any seasonings you like.
- Cornstarch in the recipe provides a crispy top layer for the oven fries.
- Serve homemade fries right after you take them out of the oven. Then they taste really crispy.
Have you made oven fries using this recipe? I’m looking forward to your results, your star rating and your comment here below on how they turned out and tasted to you.
Got an appetite for more delicious vegan dishes? Try:
- Vegan gnocchi recipe – how to make Italian potato dumplings
- Potato zrazy with mushrooms – vegan recipe for stuffed kartoflaniki
- Stewed cabbage – vegetarian recipe with tomato sauce
Oven fries / baked potato fries
- 1 kg potatoes waxy
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Peel potatoes, cut them into sticks about 1 cm thick and rinse them under cold running water to wash off the starch.
- Transfer the potato sticks to a clean towel and pat dry.
- Now place the potato sticks in a large bowl, sprinkle cornstarch on top and mix well so that each potato stick is coated with cornstarch, removing the excess cornstarch.
- Add vegetable oil and salt to the potato sticks and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the potato sticks on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper so that they do not overlap or touch, and bake them in a preheated oven at 220 °C top and bottom heat for about 25 minutes, turning them once after the first 15 minutes or so.
- Serve the hot fries immediately after baking.
- You can add any seasoning to the fries.
- Cornstarch provides a crispy top layer to the oven fries.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for making the oven fries yourself at the top of the post.