Dieser Beitrag ist auch verfügbar auf: Deutsch
Incredibly moist, soft, tender and so chocolaty is this chocolate zucchini bread. Plus, it’s vegan and quick to make. For the recipe, you’ll need ordinary ingredients that you might already have at home.
You can find a detailed recipe for this vegan chocolate zucchini bread with exact quantities and step-by-step instructions below.
The secret tip: zucchini in chocolate bread
If you study the ingredient list, there zucchini may seem strange at first. But if you’ve never tried a zucchini chocolate cake, you really need to. This recipe is just perfect for that! You see, zucchini makes a chocolate cake really moist and soft. You won’t taste the vegetable in the cake – you don’t have to worry about that. The zucchini chocolate bread is therefore suitable even for those who do not like this vegetable at all. They won’t even notice that there is zucchini in the bread. So it’s a great insider tip that makes the vegan chocolate bread taste so incredibly delicious. So along with the bread, you’re serving up an extra serving of healthy veggies, so to speak. Plus, it’s a great way to use up zucchini if you just have too much of it. But maybe you’ve already recreated my zucchini brownies and know how delicious such a cake can be.
Vegan chocolate zucchini bread
It’s hard to believe that this chocolate bread contains no animal products, making it vegan. And as delicious as it tastes, no one will even notice. The main ingredients you need for the recipe are vegan chocolate and, of course, zucchini. By the way, you can make chocolate yourself. It definitely tastes best with homemade chocolate.
The best chocolate cake – so moist and chocolaty
For me, this vegan chocolate bread with zucchini is the most delicious among all the chocolate cakes I have ever tried. It tastes incredibly moist and so chocolatey – irresistibly delicious. Just convince yourself! After all, the cake is very quick to make.
Even more chocolate in the cake?
You can’t get more chocolate in a cake than this. But if you want to make it even more chocolatey, serve the vegan chocolate zucchini bread with chocolate glaze. To do this, melt dark chocolate and add 1 – 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil – stir and pour over the bread. You can also reduce the amount of chocolate if you prefer it a little less chocolatey. I’ll tell you how in the tips and tricks for making the cake below.
Chocolate zucchini bread: the recipe
The exact quantities and step-by-step instructions that you can follow to make the vegan chocolate bread with zucchini are below in the box recipe.
For the vegan chocolate zucchini bread you need mainly zucchini, dark chocolate and cocoa powder. Also, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, some instant coffee powder and a pinch of salt go into the batter. Vegetable milk (for example, homemade almond milk, coconut milk or soy milk), a ripe banana, sugar and vegetable oil should not be missing.
And this is how easy it is to make:
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, sugar, cornstarch, instant coffee powder, baking powder and salt.
- Mash ripe banana with a fork, add vegetable milk, vanilla and vegetable oil and mix.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry flour mixture and mix briefly.
- Coarsely grate the zucchini, melt the dark chocolate and stir both into the mixture from the previous step.
- Line the baking pan with baking paper, pour the creamy batter into the pan, sprinkle the top with chopped dark chocolate and bake at 170 °C for about 1 hour. Then let the vegan chocolate bread cool down. Done!
This chocolate zucchini bread is
- vegan – contains no animal products
- without cow’s milk and therefore lactose-free,
- without egg,
- incredibly moist,
- very chocolaty,
- incredibly delicious,
- easy and quick to make with common ingredients,
- ideal for dessert with coffee or tea,
- suitable for freezing.
It also contains healthy vegetables.
Tips and tricks: here’s how to make the vegan chocolate zucchini bread
- It’s best to use a little less plant milk first and add the rest as needed if your batter is not thick but too firm.
- Don’t stir the batter too long or your vegan chocolate bread might end up too “rubbery”. It’s best to add flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder and baking soda to the mixing bowl through a sieve so that no lumps form in the batter and you only have to stir it briefly.
- Banana serves as an egg substitute in the recipe. You can use another vegan egg alternative instead. If you don’t necessarily want to make the bread vegan, you can also use 2 eggs instead of 1 banana.
- Vegetable oil makes the cake moist. You should not reduce the amount.
- Instead of melting chocolate, you can also chop it coarsely and add it to the batter. Then the chocolate zucchini bread will be a little less moist, but with melted chocolate chips.
- It is important to use good quality dark chocolate with a high cocoa content for the cake, so that it tastes delicious in the end.
- Make sure your dark chocolate is vegan. If it’s not specifically labeled as such, just check the ingredients list.
- You won’t taste coffee powder in the cake. However, it makes the chocolate taste more intense. Alternatively, you can omit the coffee.
- If you don’t like so much chocolate in the bread, you don’t have to sprinkle it with chopped chocolate. You can also add a little less chocolate to the batter.
- Can’t get enough of chocolate? Then serve the vegan chocolate zucchini bread with chocolate glaze. Melt some dark chocolate, add some vegetable oil and pour it over each piece of cake when serving.
- A pinch of salt is a must with sweet cakes.
- Be sure to line the loaf pan with baking paper. This will make it easy to take the cake out after baking.
- To check if the vegan chocolate zucchini bread is done baking, you should do a chopstick test. To do this, insert a toothpick briefly into the center of the cake and see if it stays almost clean after it comes out. If the toothpick stays smeared in raw batter, you still need to bake the cake. If only a few moist crumbs remain on the toothpick, the cake is done. If the toothpick comes out dry, it could be that you baked the cake too long and it ends up tasting too dry.
- The baking time is always given as an estimate, as every oven is known to bake differently.
- Be sure to let the bread cool sufficiently. Otherwise it might fall apart when you cut it, since it is very tender after baking. It’s best to let it cool a bit in the baking pan, then carefully take it out with baking paper and let it cool completely.
- For baking you need a loaf pan of about 11 cm x 25 cm.
- Store the vegan chocolate zucchini bread in a sealed container so that it does not dry out.
- You can also freeze the bread. Before freezing, it is best to cut it into pieces and place baking paper between the pieces. This way you can take out each piece separately and let it thaw.
Have you tried this vegan chocolate zucchini bread? Then I look forward to your result, your star rating and your comment on the recipe below, whether you liked the cake.
Not enough of delicious vegan cakes? Then try also:
Chocolate zucchini bread vegan
- approx. 11 cm x 25 cm loaf pan
- 260 g zucchini
- 150 g dark chocolate melted (for the dough)
- 150 g brown sugar
- 1 banana ripe
- approx. 100 ml plant milk (e.g. soy, almond or oat milk)
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 15 g corn starch
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 6 g baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 160 g flour
- 30 g dark chocolate coarsely chopped (for sprinkling)
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, cornstarch, instant coffee powder, baking powder and salt.
- Mash banana with a fork, add plant milk, vanilla as well as vegetable oil and mix it. Take a little less vegetable milk first and add the rest as needed in the next step.
- Add the liquid banana mixture to the dry flour mixture and mix it into a creamy dough. The batter should not be too runny, but not too firm either. If it's too firm for you, add more plant milk.
- Coarsely grate the zucchini. Stir the shredded zucchini and melted dark chocolate into the banana flour mixture.
- Line the baking pan with baking paper, pour the creamy batter into the pan, sprinkle with chopped dark chocolate and bake the chocolate zucchini bread in a preheated oven at 170 °C for about 1 hour. Let it cool down a bit in the baking pan, then take it out together with baking paper and let it cool down completely.
- Use a little less plant milk first and add the rest later if needed, if your dough is not thick but too firm.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch and baking powder best.
- Do not stir the dough too long.
- Use good quality dark chocolate with high cocoa content.
- Line loaf pan with baking paper.
- Do chopstick test to check if the cake is done baking.
- Let the chocolate bread cool thoroughly before cutting.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for making vegan chocolate zucchini bread at the top of the post.