This post is also available on: Deutsch
Spicy kidney bean patties, fluffy hamburger buns, crunchy vegetables and creamy sauce – the homemade vegan burger tastes incredibly fresh and delicious. You can make it yourself quickly and easily from common ingredients. The hearty bean burger fills you up and is ideal for lunch or dinner. A detailed vegan burger recipe with exact quantities and step-by-step instructions can be found below.
What does vegan burger consist of?
These vegetarian kidney bean burgers are made with fluffy, soft vegan hamburger buns that you can bake yourself. They are topped with homemade spicy vegan patties made from kidney beans. Of course, crunchy vegetables must not be missing. For my bean burger I used fresh tomatoes, pickles, lettuce and red onions. On top comes a delicious creamy burger sauce, which consists of mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard.
Modify vegan burger recipe to taste
You can modify the vegan burger recipe to suit your taste. For example, season your bean burger with your favorite spices. Use the sauce you like best. Use fresh cucumbers instead of pickles or other vegetables instead of tomatoes. You can also customize the vegan burger patty recipe any way you like. Instead of kidney beans, you can make the patties with other beans. Also, you can of course use store-bought burger buns for the recipe instead of baking them yourself.
How to make delicious vegetarian patties?
Once you try these homemade vegetarian patties, you’ll definitely never want to buy any made from tofu or seitan again. They are moist, flavorful, healthy and so delicious. Plus, vegetarian patties are quick and easy to make with just a few common ingredients. You see, they are made with pickled kidney beans and oatmeal. Onions and garlic give them some heat. Various spices add a hearty flavor. You can modify the recipe any way you like. Instead of kidney beans you can use other beans. You can also add various finely chopped nuts and grains to the patty mixture. You can also add cooked lentils, cooked rice, cooked mashed potatoes or fried mushrooms, as well as various vegetables and fresh herbs. And of course, do not forget to season really well. Just use spices according to your taste.
From buns to patties to sauce – everything homemade
You can do everything yourself for these vegetarian burgers: bake the buns, fry the vegetarian patties and stir the sauce. The individual components can even be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to about 3 days. And as soon as you get an appetite for the vegan bean burger, you already have everything ready for it and can quickly whip it up on the dining table. To learn how to make vegan hamburger buns that you can use for this recipe, check out the post How to make hamburger buns: vegan burger buns recipe. How to make vegan patties and a creamy burger sauce, you can read here below in the box recipe.
Healthier alternative to the classic burger
This homemade bean burger is much healthier than the classic burger from the snack bar. So if you’re eating healthy, but still want to have a burger every now and then, this vegan burger recipe is for you. The kidney bean patties are rich in nutrients, protein and fiber. They are also low in fat. Fresh vegetables contain lots of vitamins. Plus, if you make the hamburger buns yourself, you’ll avoid unhealthy additives found in supermarket buns. Doesn’t all this sound like a healthy burger?!
This vegetarian burger is
- healthier than the classic,
- with crunchy vegetables,
- with vegetarian patties made with kidney beans,
- with creamy sauce,
- with homemade hamburger buns,
- easy and quick to make from common ingredients,
- versatile toppings,
- perfect for lunch or dinner.
How to make kidney bean burger: vegan burger recipe
You can find the exact quantities and step-by-step instructions to make the vegan burger yourself here below in the box recipe.
This vegetarian burger recipe is very simple. If you want to make buns for the recipe yourself, you can do it a day ahead. Then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator overnight and warm them briefly in the toaster oven or oven before topping. You can also fry the kidney bean patties the day before and store them in the refrigerator. Once you want to make the bean burgers out of them, you can briefly warm up the vegan patties in the oven. You can also make the burger sauce earlier and put it in a screw-top jar in the fridge, for example. Once you have all the components ready, you can start making the vegan bean burgers.
How to make vegetarian burger: this is how it works
- Cut the vegetables into slices.
- Slice open hamburger buns, top with vegan patties and veggies, add sauce on top. Done!
How to make bean burger: tips and tricks
- Drain kidney beans for vegetarian burger patties thoroughly so they don’t fall apart later. Do not rinse the beans.
- Instead of pickled kidney beans, you can use cooked or another type of bean.
- Don’t mash the kidney beans too finely, just mash them coarsely with a fork.
- If your patty mixture is not firm enough immediately after preparation, you can chill it for a few hours. Then it will become firmer and easier to shape.
- You can add cooked lentils, cooked rice, cooked mashed potatoes, fried mushrooms, chopped nuts or various vegetables to the patty mixture.
- Use spices and herbs to your taste for the vegan patties.
- Store the leftover vegan burger patties in the refrigerator. They will keep for about 3 days.
- You can top your kidney bean burger with any vegetables and fresh herbs you like.
- It’s best to use homemade hot mustard for the burger sauce.
- You can make your own vegan mayonnaise for the sauce beforehand.
- You can also make a different sauce for the bean burger.
Have you made vegan burger yourself using this recipe? I’m looking forward to your result, your star rating and your comment on the recipe below, how you succeeded and tasted the bean burger.
Fancy more popular dishes in a vegan version? Also try:
- How to make vegetarian döner (doner) – vegan recipe for kebab
- Lentil loaf – best easy recipe for moist vegan meatloaf
Vegan burger / bean burger (kidney bean burger)
- 4 hamburger buns (e.g. according to this recipe)
- red onions
for vegetarian burger patties
- 400 g pickled kidney beans (drained weight)
- 120 g tender oat flakes
- 1 onion (medium size)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 30 g ground flax seeds
- 50 ml hot water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- paprika powder
- coriander powder
- cayenne pepper
- black pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
for burger sauce
- 60 ml vegan mayonnaise
- 60 ml ketchup
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp mustard
Preparation of the vegetarian burger patties
- Put ground flax seeds in a mixing bowl, pour hot water over them and let them swell while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Grind oat flakes finely.
- Cut onion into small pieces and chop garlic finely. Fry onion in a pan with 2 tbsp vegetable oil until translucent, add garlic and fry for about 1 more minute.
- Roughly mash drained kidney beans with a fork. Add fried onions with garlic, ground oatmeal and flax seeds soaked in water and knead it into a solid mass, seasoning it with paprika, coriander powder, cayenne, black pepper and salt.
- Shape the kidney bean mixture into 4 patties about 1.5 inches thick.
- Put vegetable oil in a frying pan and heat it. Fry the vegan patties in the pan over medium heat until brown, about 5 - 7 minutes on each side.
Preparation of the burger sauce
- Blend vegan mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard to make a homogeneous sauce.
Make vegan burgers
- Cut tomatoes and gherkins into thin slices, red onions into rings.
- Cut hamburger buns lengthwise. Place a lettuce leaf on the bottom of each bun, place a kidney bean patty on each, pour some of the burger sauce on top, top with tomato slices, pickle slices and onion rings, now place the top of the bun on top.
- Drain kidney beans for vegetarian burger patties thoroughly so they don't fall apart later. Do not rinse the beans.
- Cooked or another type of bean will work instead of pickled kidney beans.
- Do not mash the kidney beans too finely, just mash them coarsely with a fork.
- If the patty mixture is not firm enough immediately after preparation, refrigerate it for a few hours. Then it will become firmer and easier to shape.
- Lentils, rice, potatoes, mushrooms, nuts or various vegetables can be added to the patty mixture.
- Use spices and herbs to taste for the vegan patties.
- Top the kidney bean burger with any vegetables and fresh herbs.
- A different sauce can also be made for the bean burger.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for DIY vegan bean burger at the top of the post.